When it comes to vehicle maintenance, you do everything you can to ensure that your vehicle continues to run efficiently. Whether you change your motor oil in the comfort of your own garage or you take it to a trusted mechanic, it doesn't change the fact that you have to make a decision on which oil is going to give you the best bang for your buck.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Synthetic Oil
Synthetic oil has one major disadvantage: it's not cheap. However, testing has shown that the benefits of synthetic oil far outweigh the cost. Some of the most influential arguments in favor of using synthetic oil include the following:
- Synthetic oil is thinner, which helps to reduce oil breakdown and thereby lasts longer.
- It has the ability to resist overwhelming temperatures.
- It's environmentally friendly and helps to reduce emissions because the vehicle does not have to work as hard, especially in the colder months.
- It lasts longer than conventional oil.
- It's purified so it does not contain mineral deposits, which will prevent unwanted buildup in the engine.
- It helps to improve the fuel economy of your vehicle.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Conventional Oil
There is only one advantage to conventional oil: it's cheap. It is important to note that using conventional oil may not help maintain your vehicle's efficiency because
- Conventional oil is not purified and therefore will contain mineral deposits that can cause damage to the engine.
- It does not last as long as synthetic oil and breaks down quickly.
- It's not as environmentally friendly due to the need to change it more often than synthetic oil.
- It takes more time to flow smoothly to the engine than synthetic oil.
- Conventional oil evaporates at high temperatures.
Conventional vs. Synthetic Motor Oil: The Obvious Choice
If you are someone who prefers to spend less money on an oil change then it is obvious that conventional oil is the right choice. If cost is not a concern but performance is, then clearly you should go with synthetic oil.
When putting synthetic oil and conventional oil next to one another, it is very clear which one should be the number one contender. Synthetic is cleaner, more efficient, and offers marked advantages. However, you will have to decide which of the two is going to work best for you and your budget. For more information on auto parts, talk to a professional like Western Starter Ltd.Share